O(1) Labs' Evan Shapiro joins Kevin to discuss Mina, the world's lightest blockchain.
O(1) Labs' Evan Shapiro joins Kevin to discuss Mina, the world's lightest blockchain -- at 22 kilobits, "the size of a couple of tweets." Here, he explains how this works, what drove its creation, what this protocol looks like from a security perspective, and its real-world applications already being put to the test today.
Evan Shapiro (@evanashapiro) is the CEO and co-founder of software development company O(1) Labs, and board member at Mina Foundation, the world's lightest blockchain.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- How did Evan get started in the world of crypto? [02:30]
- What role did Evan and his O(1) Labs co-founder Izaak see themselves filling in the crypto space, and how did they begin? [03:42]
- What is zero-knowledge proof, what does it achieve, and how does it differ from other protocols? [05:34]
- How does a zero-knowledge protocol retain pertinent data without bloating a blockchain? [09:08]
- What does Mina's 22-kilobit blockchain entail? Where is the full ledger history actually stored? [11:39]
- What constitutes a validator? [12:36]
- From the security side of things, how might someone try to take over the network? [13:04]
- How computationally intensive is it to create a new SNARK (succinct non-interactive argument of knowledge) at Mina's current level, and what happens if it scales to Ethereum-sized popularity? [14:33]
- What are Snapps (SNARK-powered applications), and are their transactions private by default? [15:51]
- What use case does Evan see Mina fulfilling over the next year? [16:55]
- How is Mina being used by Teller Finance to verify credit scores for loan applications? [17:40]
- What are the short-term and long-term advantages of a 22-kilobit blockchain? [20:25]
- How do Mina's capabilities currently compare with an ecosystem like Solana, and does Evan see this changing over time? [21:58]
- How has a month of live mainnet been going so far? [23:06]
- Is Mina being traded yet? How can people begin earning tokens? [23:44]
- What other projects in the crypto space have earned Evan's respect? [25:23]
- Is Evan a fan of using DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) for governance? How would he structure it into Mina? [25:56]
- Parting thoughts. [30:15]
Subscribe to the Modern Finance Newsletter.